incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some sparse notes about changes to the incubation process
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:31:00 GMT
On 7/8/03 5:31 AM, "Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org> wrote:

> On 8/07/2003 11:13 Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> 6. Making a separate mailing list right from the start that is in the
>> final destination address is again IMHO not a good idea. I would propose
>> that all incubating projects start de-facto on the
>> projects@incubator.apache.org ML, and eventually migrate to
>> nameoftheproject@incubator.apache.org.
>
> -1: Providing isolated resources makes it much easier to zap stuff upon
> incubation failure. Also, if both -user, -dev, and -cvs mails
> originating from several incubating projects would be aggregated onto a
> single set of incubation- lists, I'm pretty sure people would be very
> quickly annoyed.

Agree with Steven on the mailing list, disagree on the cvs module.  I think
these things should be case by case.  Tapestry, for instance, had a lot less
issues of its own than XMLBeans and Apache had a lot more issues surrounding
the incubator creation therefore we created the CVS module...  In the
XMLBeans case, there are a lot more community issues and a lot less Apache
issues, therefore a cvs dir makes more sense.

Aggregating everything on one big fat mailing list  always turns out to be a
huge pain.  Its much easier to organize one's mail based on mail list than
any voluntary [tag] system.

-Andy

--
Andrew C. Oliver