incubator-general mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy for incubating project resources (was Re: xmlbeans project )
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:43:54 GMT

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 09:49  AM, Steven Noels wrote:
>> If the STATUS file hasn't been updated in 3 months, and you see
>> something that
>> needs fixing, update it yourself!
>> I noticed that you think the incubator PMC is responsible for doing
>> the *work*
>> of incubation. That is a false assumption. The Incubator is a place
>> where new
>> projects can be incubated. The contributors to the Incubator are those
>> people who want to accomplish incubation. Anyone can contribute. The
>> PMC
>> exists solely for oversight of the process, not to implement the
>> process.
>
> I'm pretty sure _nobody_ thinks the incubator PMC is responsible for
> doing any actual incubation work, except for setting out the
> guidelines. Pardon me, but if they fail in doing that, and in the mean
> time prove to be counterproductive by shielding away documents from
> people who are actually helping incubating projects, well....

What kind of guidelines would you like to see?

What specific activities do you consider counterproductive, and how do
you propose we improve them?

(If you don't have CVS commit, ask for it. In the mean time, post
patches if you see something that needs changing. The fastest way
to get commit to *any* ASF project is to post so many patches to
the development list that the committers can't keep up and eventually
just give you direct access. :)

-aaron