incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: Invitation to xmlbeans-dev
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:55:23 GMT
On 7/30/2003 2:23 PM, Steven Noels wrote:

> Consider me in, if not content-wise than at least to check on how the
> project is incubating, and to help on community aspects.
>
> In this respect, I respectfully ask to become part of the initial
> group of committers.
>
> </Steven>

Hi Steven,

I have a question about your request.   The existing ASF people here,
you, me, and some of the interested others are here to help with the
community aspects (among others) of the project.  Part of the Apache Way
is that we admit committers based on their merits.   Right now, no one
outside Cliff's list of commiters has submitted a single patch for
XMLBeans.  I am uncomfortable with *me* having commit rights to xmlbeans
when I haven't submitted any patches (the only justification for me
having them is that I'm the sponsoring member, FWIW).   That's one issue.

A second issue is that the introduction of the XMLBeans project was
accompanied by a lot of concerns over the number of BEA committers (6 at
the moment) and independent committers (3 at the moment - I'm not
counting myself -- I'm only going to consider myself a committer when I
get 3 +1's from the original 9 + whoever they admit).   I am concerned
that we will be accused of padding up the number of committers to reach
a 50% "balance" of BEA/independent committers (never mind that the
incubator STATUS file says that 3 independents are sufficient).   This
project is going to be triple scrutinized (whether fairly or not)
because it involves a donation from a large company.  I want to make
sure that everything is done squeaky clean here.

If that means that I need to not have commit privileges, I will happily
give them up.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't be a committer, I just
want to make sure that we understand the precedent(s) that we are
setting.

Please let me know your thoughts on this,

Ted