incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy for incubating project resources (was Re: xmlbeans project )
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:31:24 GMT
On 7/30/2003 10:43 AM, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 09:49  AM, Steven Noels wrote:
>
>>> If the STATUS file hasn't been updated in 3 months, and you see
>>> something that
>>> needs fixing, update it yourself!
>>> I noticed that you think the incubator PMC is responsible for doing
>>> the *work*
>>> of incubation. That is a false assumption. The Incubator is a place
>>> where new
>>> projects can be incubated. The contributors to the Incubator are those
>>> people who want to accomplish incubation. Anyone can contribute. The
>>> PMC
>>> exists solely for oversight of the process, not to implement the
>>> process.
>>

>> I'm pretty sure _nobody_ thinks the incubator PMC is responsible for
>> doing any actual incubation work, except for setting out the
>> guidelines. Pardon me, but if they fail in doing that, and in the
>> mean time prove to be counterproductive by shielding away documents
>> from people who are actually helping incubating projects, well....
>

> What kind of guidelines would you like to see?

1. After a PMC has approved acceptance of a project for incubation and
in the mean time while you are waiting for infrastructure resources to
be created, please hold your e-mail discussions in
general@incubator.apache.org
2. The necessary documents (CLA, software-grant, etc) are a location X.
If location X is only accessible to a member, ask your shepherd to get
them for you
3. The naming policy for project mailing lists, cvs-repos, etc is X
4. Here is what you can expect the incubator project to do, and here is
what you have to do yourself.

> What specific activities do you consider counterproductive, and how do
> you propose we improve them?

It would really help if stuff like 1-4 were decided and posted on the
incubator site.

Ted