incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy for incubating project resources (was Re: xmlbeans project )
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:16:51 GMT
On 30/07/2003 19:43 Aaron Bannert wrote:

> What kind of guidelines would you like to see?
>
> What specific activities do you consider counterproductive, and how do
> you propose we improve them?

As much as your suggestions drive me towards a direction I'm already
fully aware of, I think this situation is very comparable with the start
of a new code-related project. If there's no code to play with, there's
only a slim chance a community will form. I reckon much 'code' is
already present within the Incubator project, still people do find it
quite unobvious to start playing with it, because of its distributed
character perhaps, or the unclear overall design. Much of the Incubator
documents remain unfinished, which indeed creates a nice work area for
people caring about the Incubator project. OTOH, the way the Incubator
is being put forward happens to be very demotivational, especially for
people who are already involved in various other ASF related efforts and
find themselves being dragged into the Incubator project only
circumstantial. There's a certain tendency to downplay ongoing
incubation efforts if they are not fully executioned from within the
reigns of the Incubator PMC, and one can get sick of hearing he should
help the PMC instead of the incubating project. Don't underestimate the
social aspect of all this. I know the Incubator is important for the
ASF, but that doesn't mean one must become a committer of it or PMC
member if he wants to help an incubating project.

The good thing of all this is that, by now, it's becoming crystal-clear
(at least to me), that the Incubator project should really be a library
of guidelines and nothing more. Since I'm much more of a hands-on guy
rather than a rules builder, I'm finding it hard to focus on rules
rather than on the problem at hand (= XMLBeans' incubation). This
shouldn't be a problem if rules builders cooperate rather than point
fingers, and someone tries to transcribe the efforts of the hand-on guys
into a pragmatical set of rules. I'm very grateful to see Berin
apparently trying to do so.

I'd rather collaborate rather than just comment, but I don't want to
raise expectations which I can't meet after being admitted. Modesty.

> (If you don't have CVS commit, ask for it. In the mean time, post
> patches if you see something that needs changing. The fastest way
> to get commit to *any* ASF project is to post so many patches to
> the development list that the committers can't keep up and eventually
> just give you direct access. :)

I'm fully aware of all that. I'm not a karma whore however, since I'm
already pretty much occupied with my current karma. ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org