incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy for incubating project resources (was Re: xmlbeans project )
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:05:11 GMT
On 7/29/2003 2:50 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>> I've no issue with rules, except when we say we have rules but can't
>> articulate them.  Example #1. What should the names of the mailing
>> lists and CVS be?  projectt@incubator.apache.org or
>> project@xml.apache.org.
>

> We don't have that rule.  Nicola Ken suggested creating such a rule.
>
> My opinion is that we will continue to meander around until someone
> who gives a rat's ass about some new project volunteers to set up
> the incubation process.  Right now, nobody even wants to chair the PMC
> because anyone who attempts to lead is shot down and everyone who wants
> to create a new project is unwilling to work on documenting its progress.

I'm willing up to a certain point to do some work on this.  My
frustration is that
the incubator has existed for quite some time, and should already have
some project
guidelines like the ones that I referred to.

The reason that people don't want to work on documenting the progress is
that they
don't like the process.  They were told to go through the process by the
ASF.  Inside
the ASF we have been told to use the incubator (whether we like it or
not).  People who
signed up to be on the incubator volunteered to do the work of setting
up guidelines and
giving advice to new projects.  So where are the guidelines?  Where is
the board oversight
of the incubator as a project?

> In other words, there are insufficient volunteers to accept any new
> projects at Apache right now.  Please come back at a later date, or
> volunteer to do the work and I'll give you cvs access.

This is not true.  Steven Noels, myself, and Berin Lautenbach are
working to get this project
into Apache.   I certainly didn't know that I was volunteering to do the
Incubator PMC's job
for it.  I already have CVS access for incubator.  I'd much rather you
gave me root and apmail
so that I can create the stuff that this project needs.   Fortunately
for the incubator PMC,
Cliff and Berin are willing to do some work to improve the incubator
process.

Ted