incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy for incubating project resources (was Re: xmlbeans project )
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:50:31 GMT
On 29/07/2003 10:41 Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>> and see to bring XMLBeans where people can actually help them out.
>> Apart from Nicola's apparent efforts in keeping the Incubator alive,
>> most of the real action is done by infrastructure peeps, and the
>> dispersed shepherds of incubating projects, most of them assumably
>> under the umbrella of the XML/Jakarta PMC. Let's keep it that way, and
>> keep the incubating projects close to an active PMC.
> But being careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.  I
> would have said there is real value in the Incubator defining and
> fleshing out a process that is used by the various PMCs for incubation.

Totally agree with that, of course, although I find this hard to find
back in what Nicola has been up to this far (sorry to say so). I'm
willing to help out since I firmly believe in the need for a good
acceptance/incubation process and tangible help for fledgling new Apache
projects (and growth of new ASF projects is unavoidable, necessary, even
healthy IMHO) - OTOH I feel a certain tendency towards overregulation
and protectionism which I don't find inspiring.

But maybe it is my persistent lack of time preventing me to fully jump
in the waters, causing me to seek false argumentation not being able to
cooperate on policy making - oh well.

After spending considerable time off-list with Cliff preparing his
proposal, I'm getting a bit weary with all this rules stuff - which
doesn't mean rules are not important. But they shouldn't mess up the
spirit, which is the real difference between Apache and the outside open
source world.

Steven Noels
Read my weblog at
stevenn at                stevenn at