incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy for incubating project resources (was Re: xmlbeans project )
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:41:00 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> and see to bring XMLBeans where people can actually help them out. Apart
> from Nicola's apparent efforts in keeping the Incubator alive, most of
> the real action is done by infrastructure peeps, and the dispersed
> shepherds of incubating projects, most of them assumably under the
> umbrella of the XML/Jakarta PMC. Let's keep it that way, and keep the
> incubating projects close to an active PMC.

But being careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.  I
would have said there is real value in the Incubator defining and
fleshing out a process that is used by the various PMCs for incubation.
  It might even oversite the process at a high level to ensure
consistency accross all incoming projects.

I think there might also need to be someone to look after projects that
are going to come in at the top level - i.e. not under the auspices of
another Apache project.  A lot of the current Incubator documentation
focuses on that case.

(Harping on a subject) - a charter/mission statement would be good :>.
The stuff on wiki is a first stab at roles and responsibilities - can we
start with that and flesh out?

Cheers,
	Berin