incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy for incubating project resources (was Re: xmlbeans project )
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:08:12 GMT
On 25/07/2003 14:09 Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote, On 25/07/2003 14.05:

>> No this is difference than in the past.  Remember the Incubator is
>> here to
>> help and its OUR responsibility to incubate?  Its sounding like the
>> incubator stands over and tells folks what to do not only in helpful ways
>> but in details too.
>

> Responsible means responsible, nothing less, nothing more.
> Don't confuse responsibility with micro-management.

I am back from holidays so only lightly surfing the mail avalanche after
being two weeks offline, but I'm slowly beginning to resonate with
Andy's line of action.

Maybe they are bred on Andy's experiences during Tapestry's
'incubation', but given the fact Cliff/BEA/theXMLBeansPeeps are quite
new to all this self-management and the Apache Way, and the fact that
Nicola seems to be overly reluctant because of what happened/is still
happening with Lenya (him being one of the main supporters of their
incubation at that time), I would propose not to overregulate all this,
and see to bring XMLBeans where people can actually help them out. Apart
from Nicola's apparent efforts in keeping the Incubator alive, most of
the real action is done by infrastructure peeps, and the dispersed
shepherds of incubating projects, most of them assumably under the
umbrella of the XML/Jakarta PMC. Let's keep it that way, and keep the
incubating projects close to an active PMC.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org