incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xmlbeans project
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 06:28:22 GMT
> On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 10:17 PM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
>> Lenya is also incubated @cocoon.apache.org and not
>> @incubator.apache.org

It's the only project now being incubated like this. IMO it was an error.

>> I do not see much sense in moving mailing lists arround. Please
>> avoid such needless work.

Then incubating would be needless work anyhow, we would make the project
go live as final right away 8->

Aaron Bannert wrote, On 24/07/2003 7.25:
> I can't remember if we have a precedence set here or not, but
> if PMC wants the mailing lists created in their namespace,
> than I see no reason not to go that way.

Well, I explained the reasons in the previous thread:
"Some sparse nots about changes to the incubation process"
(nots->notes)

The problem is that by creating the CVS and ML space in the final
destination, the project actually behaves itself as it was already fully
accepted by ASF, which is *not* the case.

There have been problems with Lenya because of this arramngement,
explained in the afromentioned thread, and the "incubator" naming is
meant to avoid this issue.

> On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 10:17 PM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
> I do not see much sense in moving mailing lists arround. Please avoid
> such needless work.

Renaming a ML or a CVS module is a trivial thing to do. Instead, trying
to make a project look like if it's in incubation when it isn't is a
much more difficult task, as facts have shown.

Just trying the easiest and fastest route is not a solution.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -