incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Some sparse nots about changes to the incubation process
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:23:10 GMT
On 10/07/2003 8:59 Paul Hammant wrote:

> Nicola,

>> Nope.

>> reference to the incubation status.
>

> I stand corrected.

Isn't <cite href="http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/">Apache Lenya is a
Cocoon subproject under incubation.</cite> a fair enough reference? I
don't get the core of the problem anymore. While I agree upon the
concept of an Incubator, if its main functions are actually carried out
by the receiving PMC, I wonder what all the fuzz of mentioning the
Incubator is about.

I think the value proposition of the Incubator should be more directed
at the receiving PMC and the Foundation, and less at the incubating
project. The incubating project primarily interacts with the receiving
PMC, which can call upon help to the Incubator. This is about the same
way new folks and projects interact with Infrastructure, which requires
the PMC to be informed of infrastructure requests. The PMC is the
facilitator, and checks whether people actually get an answer. Or that
should be the theory, IMHO.

>> > No need for vote?
>>
>> These are sparse notes, not a VOTE, man. ;-)
>>
> Other before me voted :-)

That wasn't a vote, but fractional enthusiasm. :-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org