incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some sparse notes about changes to the incubation process
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 12:41:57 GMT

Steven Noels wrote, On 08/07/2003 11.31:
> On 8/07/2003 11:13 Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> 4. Making the incubating project have it's own CVS module is a
>> terrible idea. It gives the incubating project and the new users the
>> idea that the project is already a full-apache project. This is the
>> same problem that had arised on Avalon, where projects that were
>> really sandbox code started appearing in the main excalibur CVS,
>> making users use them as they were properly released, which was not true.
>>
>> All incubating projects therefore should reside in the incubator module.
>> I'd also propose that all committers of the sponsoring PMC can have
>> access to it, as well as all the committers from other incubating
>> projects (so they can eventually lend a hand in need).
>

>> 6. Making a separate mailing list right from the start that is in the
>> final destination address is again IMHO not a good idea. I would
>> propose that all incubating projects start de-facto on the
>> projects@incubator.apache.org ML, and eventually migrate to
>> nameoftheproject@incubator.apache.org.
>

> -1: Providing isolated resources makes it much easier to zap stuff upon
> incubation failure.

Naa... don't tell me that zapping a dir in CVS is difficult.

Making an incubator-myproject CVS module is more about the changes that
have to be done upon success than upon failure. I concede that using a
incubator-myproject module is equivalent though.

> Also, if both -user, -dev, and -cvs mails
> originating from several incubating projects would be aggregated onto a
> single set of incubation- lists, I'm pretty sure people would be very
> quickly annoyed.

It depends on what projects we are talking about. If the project is
relatively small, IMHO it should be done. This has happened with the ftp
and AltRMI projects and it's not a problem. Small projects don't have
user lists overmore, and the CVS ones are in a separate CVS ML.

> Other than that: enthusiastic +0.75.

Wow, fractional enthusiasm! ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -