incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Some sparse nots about changes to the incubation process
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:13:21 GMT

Looking at how Lenya is now incubating, here are some notes, that aim to
resolve some problems that have arised in incubation.

1. Appointing someone from this PMC to look over a project is a good
idea. If I weren't on that list (via gmane in case anyone checks ;-)
this PMC would not know how it's going.

2. What about having the incubated project send the incubator PMC
monthly status reports of what has happened, and more important, of the
things done in the incubation process?

3. We need to make a boilerplate doco for the new incubating projects
that clearly states what they have to do for incubation. We have some
docs, but a clear mail wil only the things pertaining to them would be nice.

4. Making the incubating project have it's own CVS module is a terrible
idea. It gives the incubating project and the new users the idea that
the project is already a full-apache project. This is the same problem
that had arised on Avalon, where projects that were really sandbox code
started appearing in the main excalibur CVS, making users use them as
they were properly released, which was not true.

All incubating projects therefore should reside in the incubator module.
I'd also propose that all committers of the sponsoring PMC can have
access to it, as well as all the committers from other incubating
projects (so they can eventually lend a hand in need).

5. The PMC that has asked for that projects has to cater for it too.
There needs to be at least one from that PMC that co-works with the
incubator advisor on the project list.

6. Making a separate mailing list right from the start that is in the
final destination address is again IMHO not a good idea. I would propose
that all incubating projects start de-facto on the
projects@incubator.apache.org ML, and eventually migrate to
nameoftheproject@incubator.apache.org.

7. The webpage of teh incubatong project should have the incubator logo
and the project one. The final PMC may link to it, and have their logo
somewhere else on the page, but not as part of the header.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -