incubator-general mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Issues with XMLBeans proposal
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:55:44 GMT
(this is an attempt to explain rather than start another useless flame war.
..)

On Friday, July 4, 2003, at 12:24 AM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:22:10PM -0400, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

<snip>

>> The division of XML vs Jakarta predates me for certain, but I think the
>> main
>> issues surrounding that are rusty.
>
> The problem is Jakarta itself. Centering a PMC around a *language* rather
> than functionality is the inherent problem. These questions will continue
> arise over and over.

though it's sometimes hard for others to see, jakarta is concerned only
with server side java  rather than the whole language. jakarta has
rejected projects because they are not sufficiently within scope. but
server side java is still a very, very large area...

<snip>

> To that extent, I'd say it is an XML project. However, I think it is
> mostly
> up to the XMLBeans community to ask for one or the other. If that PMC says
> "okay", then everything is fine. (and no... PMCs are not allowed to meet
> at
> sundown to duel for an arriving project :-)

FWIW i'd say that the historic distinction is that xml has been more
concerned with standards compliance than jakarta. if a server side java
component involves xml in a non-standard way then jakarta has been seen as
a better home than xml.

- robert