incubator-general mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <paul_hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Some sparse nots about changes to the incubation process
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:38:06 GMT
Nicola,

> As I told Steven some mails back, I understand the point. Hence I agree
> with the incubator-projectname CVS module name and separate mailing
> list(s) if the project is big enough (as I gather this is).
>
> Here is a rewrite of those points:

> 4. Making the incubating project have it's own CVS module with the final
> destination name is a terrible idea. It gives the incubating project and
> the new users the idea that the project is already a full-apache
> project. This is the same problem that had arised on Avalon, where
> projects that were really sandbox code started appearing in the main
> excalibur CVS, making users use them as they were properly released,
> which was not true.

-1: reason No change necessary.

This is not happening currently. The Lenya case ariving inside Cocoon was special because
it was
more assimmialtion than incuation.  The Tapestry case was special because Incubator was still
being set up at the time. All other modules in Incubator are stigmatised by the word incubator
in
their module name.

> All incubating projects therefore should reside in a module that is
> names incubator-projectname.
> I'd also propose that all committers of the sponsoring PMC can have
> access to it, as well as all the committers from other incubating
> projects (so they can eventually lend a hand in need).

As is happening presently. No need for vote?

> 6. Making a separate mailing list right from the start that is in the
> final destination address is again IMHO not a good idea. I would propose
> that all incubating projects start de-facto on the
> projects@incubator.apache.org ML if they have low traffic, and
> eventually migrate to nameoftheproject@incubator.apache.org. In case the
> project has already sustained traffic, we will create MLs of type
> nameoftheproject-(dev|user|cvs)@incubator.apache.org.

As is happening presently. No need for vote?

> 7. The webpage of the incubatong project should have the incubator logo
> and the project one. The final PMC may link to it, and have their logo
> somewhere else on the page, but not as part of the header.

As is happening presently. No need for vote?

> 7-b. The final PMC project should not link to the incubating project
> page, but only to the incubator main page.

Projects ultimately fork away to jakarta, avalon, xml etc ?  Or will Incubater eternally host
once-incubated projects.

> >>Use what you prefer for your project, there is no rule to which
> >>build-document-whatever system you use; just don'├Čt impose it on others.
> >>
> >>(Forrest is much more advanced for Documentation BTW)
> >
> > Knew that. But clover, pmd, simian, checkstyle and other reports are magic :-)
>
> They are not Maven, are they? ;-P

No, obviously, but the maven experience gives them to you more or less free.

> > When will that Forrest plugin for Maven be ready ?
>
> ASA Leo gets actively working on it.

Kewl.

- Paul