incubator-general mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <paul_hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Project donation proposal
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 11:24:54 GMT
Stefano,

  http://incubator.apache.org/process.html
  http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html

The second page has some thought provoking aspects.  In essense, Apache must be convinced
that
your not bringing code here for fame, or because dev has stopped in the your company. Moveover,
an
@apache email address should not be a motivator, and it should overlap with Apache's goals
including leveraging existing sub-projects if it can.  Development must be pledged to continue.
achieve that you should have a few committed developers, who don't necessarily rely on a salary
remain active on that commitment.  Some amount of charm is required, especially to sub-projects
that you hope to leverage. An existing presence in one or more Apache mail-lists really helps,
as
does a prior understanding of the Apache way.

Some of that is subjective, as I'm sure will be pointed out.

Look in the archives of the general@jakarta list for the "POI" project and its entry in Jakarta.
It is very good examples of the trials and ultimate success of the applicants.

Regards,

- Paul