incubator-general mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: incubator-altrmi/lib/optional excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:31:44 GMT

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 11:47  PM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> If they are the product of another project, then the developer
>> would just download and build/install that other project.
>
> Hmmm, so here start the problems. A Java project can have a lot of
> dependencies, and making all developers download all these projects
> and use them has been found out to be a major PITA and time killer.
>
> As for installing... well java deliverables are never installed, just
> copied in the right dir.

I really don't think we should be polluting CVS with JARs because
the developers on a project are too lazy to download and copy a jar
to the right directory.

>> As for these particular jars, where do they come from and what
>> do they do? (And who owns them?)
>
> The one pointed out by your original mail
>
>   excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar
>
> comes from Apache Avalon Excalibur Lifecycle.

So this jar available directly as a download from elsewhere the ASF?

> Most of the projects depend mainly on Apache jars, but there are also
> jars from many other OS projects.

I would think we would be very resistive to putting jars from non-ASL
projects into our CVS repository. I don't think we want to blur the
lines of "distribution" to invoke any licensing clauses in the other
open-source Jars we use.

Here are the problems I see with importing jars to CVS:

1) it wastes huge amounts of harddrive space
2) it becomes difficult and resource intensive to track minor changes
in those jars
3) we unintentionally become a possible "distribution" site
4) other license issues with the checked-in jars are unknown

So far, I think this far outweighs the benefits:

1) easier for developers to build the project

-aaron