incubator-general mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Incubator DOA (Re: [STATUS] Tapestry [LACK-OF] Progress)
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:02:15 GMT

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 02:18  PM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Anyway, Tapestry has *not* been incubated, at least not by the
> Incubator. It has been followed by Dion and Andy (whom I thank BTW),
> that are not Incubator PMCers. I don't see how something that we have
> not done goes to our demerit.
>
> If there is one thing that I have learned from this, is that we cannot
> delegate to others that are not from this PMC.
> Another is that we need more PMCers, especially from the Java land.

I think there is a misconception of the role of the PMC in this. I see
two simultaneous roles w/in the Incubator Project:

1) Active oversight and "management" of the Incubator process.

2) Actual Incubation (creation of project resources, charters,
community building,
    voting policies, brainwashing^Wer, ASF Culture, etc...);
    molding of a project/community into something acceptable to the ASF
and to the
    receiving ASF project (and that Project's PMC).

I'm not here to tell java people how to form their mailing lists or
their charters or their source code directories or their JAR
repositories.
I don't claim to have the knowledge that would benefit this, nor the
time or interest. IMHO that is not the job of anyone on the Incubator
PMC.

As we begin to feel out this Incubation process, I think the separation
of roles will become more clear. Right now we don't really know yet what
patterns will emerge in the process of creating new projects.

-aaron