incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator DOA (Re: [STATUS] Tapestry [LACK-OF] Progress)
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 02:50:43 GMT
> 1. The border of incubator reponsibilities are ambigious with regards
> to the boards

Nope.

> 2. The incubator is not responsive to new requests

Yep.  Somebody needs to own each request.

> 3. The incubtor (itself) has not served to any decernable benefit to
> Tapestry, its first project.  Nor does it appear to have benefitted
> from it.

Irrelevant.  The ASF benefits from it, or at least will once it crosses
the hump.

> I would suggest the Incubator PMC suggest a more limited scope (those
> things that they are actually able/willing to provide on a reliable
> basis) and that they suggest a plan to get there.  It is possible (and
> I'm not volunteering) that the membership of the incubator PMC should
> be expanded in the event the problem is bandwidth.

Of course it should be expanded.  The PMC should be the people doing the
incubation.  However, if we get no volunteers, then the correct response
is that the ASF should not be accepting new projects.

> I think the real problem here is that we're moving the responsibility
> away from those whom are motivated to accept it.

No, we aren't.  The problem is that the people motivated to accept it
are not motivated to do the work of accepting it, and hence are not here
doing that work.  Much of that is simply because they don't know that
they need to be here, they don't know what the work is, and they don't
know what is acceptable.

Expecting some uncle-PMC to do those things is just backwards.

....Roy