incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: incubator-site/build/site/projects/altrmi/api/org/apache/altrmi/server/impl/socket AbstractCompleteSocketStreamServer.html AbstractPartialSocketStreamServer.html CompleteSocketCustomStreamPipedBinder.html CompleteSocketCustomStreamPipedConnection.html CompleteSocketCustomStreamServer.html
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:51:16 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> I agree that putting generated stuff in CVS sucks big time.
> The point is that users and developers like having these on the site.
> For example, I might need the docs but have only the jar ATM, or I want
> to explain a thing on the list with a link to the javadocs.
> Anyway, a solution for Java projects seems simple: make the project run
> under Gump, and these generated files will be published daily.
> But this gives us the latest docs, not the ones of the last release.
> So IMHO we should push these docs to the site by hand and not use the
> site CVS for it.

i think you are missing one important aspect by making
the unconscious assumption that people who want the
documentation are *always* online when they need it,
and can reach the apache site.  from personal experience,
my own and that of others shared with me, i can tell you
that such is far from always being the case.  if they
cannot easily produce it from raw sources in such a
situation, it must be available to them in pre-generated
form as part of a/the download they use to get the sources.

what are the technical (not philosophical) objections to
keeping generated data under cms?
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

To unsubscribe, e-mail: