incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: incubator-altrmi/lib/optional excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:47:24 GMT

Aaron Bannert wrote, On 17/03/2003 8.25:

> On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 02:50  PM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'm curious: since I develop only java and I don't use other
>> languages since the universtity (so take this question with the same
>> grain of salt ;-) , what would have you thought could have been done
>> instead of putting the jar in CVS?
>

> If they are a product of the project, then they would just be a local
> dependency of the build system.

Yes.

> If they are the product of another project, then the developer
> would just download and build/install that other project.

Hmmm, so here start the problems. A Java project can have a lot of
dependencies, and making all developers download all these projects and
use them has been found out to be a major PITA and time killer.

As for installing... well java deliverables are never installed, just
copied in the right dir.

> As for these particular jars, where do they come from and what
> do they do? (And who owns them?)

The one pointed out by your original mail

   excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar

comes from Apache Avalon Excalibur Lifecycle.

Most of the projects depend mainly on Apache jars, but there are also
jars from many other OS projects.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -