incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: incubator-altrmi/lib/optional excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2003 22:50:22 GMT

Aaron Bannert wrote, On 15/03/2003 22.37:
> I don't claim to be a Java expert, so take what I say with a grain
> of salt, but why are jars being checked into CVS?

*sigh* this is a thing that is haunting java for quite some time now.
The fact is that for compilation we need these libraries to be present,
and to make it easy and consistent for all, the easiest and most
effective solution uptodate has been to put them in CVS. Some projects
go to extremes and also put in the build system (usually Ant).

Now there are systems that are growing fast that want to make this not
necessary anymore, like Maven, Ruper (that has now been proposed to
Ant), and the new effort.

We'll soon see these jars in CVS go away, one way or the other :-)

Anyway, I'm curious: since I develop only java and I don't use other
languages since the universtity (so take this question with the same
grain of salt ;-) , what would have you thought could have been done
instead of putting the jar in CVS?

> On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 06:36  PM, wrote:
>> leif        2003/03/14 18:36:31
>>   Added:       lib/optional excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar
>>   Log:
>>   Updated to reflect the move of the lifecycle package from
>>   org.apache.excalibur.container.lifecycle to org.apache.avalon.lifecycle
>>   Revision  Changes    Path
>>   1.1
>> incubator-altrmi/lib/optional/excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar
>>       <<Binary file>>

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: