incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenSAML (was RE: Incubator DOA)
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:06:03 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Could you toss the board a bone here - i.e. reach consensus what *we* as
>developers (all of us :-) feel are acceptable boundaries for working on
>that code.

Yes.

>Then the board will help define what the ASF deems acceptable, and work
>with you to convey this to RSA and/or negotiate the right sort of legal
>paperwork with RSA.

Okay.

>Some thoughds:
>
>-	Zero Royalty versus (perpetual) Royalty Free ? Or a perpatual
>	license with Zero Royalty today.

Yes we want RSA to sign that they give a Royalty Free, perpetual license
to use this patent inside of the propose OpenSAML project.

>-	Does it affect just ASF Developers or also the End-Users or people
>	who download our code ?

End users should not be required to acquire a seperate license from RSA
in order to use OpenSAML for any purpose including embedding it in
security products.

>-	Does it affect individual developers or can the ASF act as an
>	effective umbrella for all its committers ?

Developers should not be required to acquire a license in order to work
on the OpenSAML project.

Thoughts?

-Andy