incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Incubator DOA (Re: [STATUS] Tapestry [LACK-OF] Progress)
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:10:13 GMT

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote, On 12/03/2003 20.43:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>>PMCs should manage the acceptance of new subprojects, not some
>>disinterested Incubator PMC.
> that was tried.  it failed in practice.

I'd like to point out a thing. Incubation still means different things
to different people.

If incubating means teaching "The Apache Way", then there is no better
way IMHO than making th eproject be supervised and live in the accepting

If incubating is getting it ready WRT a series of checks that have to be
done to start and be sure the project is ok, then this has clearly
failed in practice.

Many think that incubation wants to be a kind of Apache black magic that
only old veterans think they know, and that has to be inculcated with a
strange and undocumented process into virgin projects.

People, remove this ridiculous idea.

IMHO, the first we get a list of things that have to be checked and
solved, the faster we will be able to work well.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -