incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE:PMC] Release Tapestry to Jakarta
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:18:58 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>

>> You can integrate with Gump regardless of Maven.  Its just
>> configuring gump is a royal pain in the butt.
>

> Pppbbbttt.
>
> Apparently creating the following is beyond Andy's abilities:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/jakarta-gump/project/jakarta-tapestry.xml?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain
>
> In any case, this is just a *starter* definition.  What needs to be
> added is lines for each dependency and for each property that needs to
> be overridden.  The way I generally approach this is to start with a
> minimal set and then add only what is absolutely necessary until I get
> to a failure that I can't get past.
>
> In this case, I didn't get very far.  The build aborts quickly unless
> jboss is present.

Sam..  With all due respect...   I do not see this as a complete Gump
configuration..  In the end this might prove to be a problem with
tapestry's build but I suspect you'll hit a few more Gumpisms first.
Prove me wrong.  It was done once or twice before..  ;-)

> Once this is resolved, I am willing to help.  Or you can update the
> project definition directly.  Or you can ask for help on
> gump@jakarta.apache.org... there are plenty of friendly people there.
>
> Meanwhile, you should get daily reminders that this is not complete
> delivered to tapestry-dev@jakarta.apache.org.  ;-)
>
>> I figured
>> that if Maven is Gump-integrated then it should be easier to mavenize
>> and take advantage of maven's gump integration.
>

> Maven has code which will produce a gump descriptor, but no code that
> will consume one.  Conversely gump has no code for producing or
> consuming Maven descriptors, though Jason has offered to help out by
> writing a sax based parser for the Maven descriptor.
>
> In short, Maven integration can help with Gump integration, but at the
> present time, the reverse is not true.

Right.  All I care about is Gump integration.  I see it as an important
part of integrating into the Jakarta project.  Code compatibility may
not directly correspond to community compatibility but Conway's law
relates them rather heavily...  ;-)

-Andy