incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject [dev.jeremias@greenmail.ch: Re: XML FOP: Licensing issues with hyphenation pattern files]
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 00:51:07 GMT
another action item...

----- Forwarded message from Jeremias Maerki <dev.jeremias@greenmail.ch> -----

From: Jeremias Maerki <dev.jeremias@greenmail.ch>
Subject: Re: XML FOP: Licensing issues with hyphenation pattern files
To: licensing@apache.org
Cc: pmc@xml.apache.org, fop-dev@xml.apache.org
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:54:57 +0100

Thanks, Greg and Nicola, for your answers. I've already sent the form to
the person I mentioned. Now that most of my questions have been resolved
I'm off to "distribute" quite a bunch of these forms to all the various
copyright holders.

After it has been suggested that every single file submitted by a
non-committer must be accompanied by a license grant it would really
make sense to publish the form somewhere under http://www.apache.org/dev/,
for example. That's one step towards making all committers aware that
these steps should be followed. Maybe this process could be described on
a separate page with just a few sentences. It should also be mentioned
that the above also applies if a file with someone else's name has been
modified and included in a project codebase as is the case with FOP's
hypenation patterns.

I'm going to document all the findings from this thread within the next
two or three days at
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Licensing. Help is welcome.
I hope someone with write access will then transfer some of the contents
to the Development Information pages.

Thanks again to all who have helped resolve our licensing issues so far.

On 17.03.2003 21:00:50 Greg Stein wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 04:17:12PM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > I've just received that email. The original author is willing to fax in
> > a grant. Question now: Where can I find the form? I've only found the
> > one for committers. Thanks a lot!
> >
> > On 17.03.2003 15:23:55 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > > I've received an email a few minutes ago from a FOP contributor telling
> > > me that I will receive a confirmation mail from the original author of
> > > one of the problematic hyphenation files, that he allows us to use his
> > > file. But strictly following the rules I have to ask him to file a grant.
> > > I hope he won't mind.
>
> I've attached(*) the software grant form which they can print, sign, and fax
> into the ASF (+1-410-803-2258) or mail to:
>
>     The Apache Software Foundation
>     1901 Munsey Drive
>     Forest Hill, MD 21050-2747, U.S.A.
>
> (*) no, I don't know where it might be publicly accessible; this is from our
> Foundation CVS repos

Jeremias Maerki

----- End forwarded message -----

--