incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator DOA (Re: [STATUS] Tapestry [LACK-OF] Progress)
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:46:34 GMT
> The incubator will always be a cabbage.  What does a cabbage have to
> do with Tapestry's incubation?  Exactly.

Why is this concept so hard to understand?  Incubator is a project.  It
is
not an entity.  By definition, anything done by way of incubation falls
under the category of incubator.  The only question is whether what is
done is marked as progress or not, and for that somebody actually has
to make note of it within the incubator module.

This is no different from any other Apache project.  I can spend
hundreds
of hours working on the best-thing-since-sliced-bread for an HTTP
server,
but no progress is made until I commit those changes to an httpd module
and the rest of the project agrees (or doesn't disagree) that it is
okay.
Collaborative development requires that extra bit of work.  If nobody
does that work, then a project will never pass through incubator.

....Roy