incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@attbi.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE:PMC] Release Tapestry to Jakarta
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:32:18 GMT

> Endre StĂžlsvik wrote:
> > | Actually, this is present Apache policy.  You can't link
> to them at
> > | all.  Sorry.
> >
> > Why on earth can't Apache link to LGPL libraries? What's with you
> > guys? Have you heard about something called "the open source
> > community"? It's about reusing code n'allthat...

See, that's the part I don't get.  I know this is tedious if you've been
through this, but I don't see how the LGPL is viral (the GPL is definitely
viral, by design).
If all you are doing is restributing an LGPL package without modification, I
just don't see how it affects your license.  As I understand it, the LGPL
and the ASL are pretty much the same, until you modify and redistribute.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components