incubator-general mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for Lenya
Date Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:13:06 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
>> You seem to be concerned that the software is *used* in productive
>> environments.
>>
>> Do software developers who want to change the code have to take that into
>> account? Yes, certainly they should do that.
>>
>> Is that an argument against the adoption of the software? No, quite the
>> opposite.
>

> No, I'm happy to see it in active use. I fear however that heavy
> (backward-incompatible) redesign and rearchitecturing will be hindered
> by the existing installations. Again, this is just thinking out aloud.

No, we definitely won't hinder redesign and rearchitecturing just
because the software might be backward-incompatible, because we are very
much aware of that there is still a lot of research and development to
be done.

That's one of reasons we put so much effort into this XML and XSLT
thing,because
there will always be stuff to be "migrated", but with XML and XSLT on
every layer you are certainly
less doomed.

Less seriously, it's rather the opposite: More backward-incompatible
software gives us some payed
work ;-)

Thanks

Michael