incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for Lenya
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:20:51 GMT

Steven Noels wrote, On 20/02/2003 13.36:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Dear Incubator List
>>
>> Here's our proposal for _Lenya_ (plz see below), a Content Management
>> System based on Cocoon. The proposal can also be viewed as HTML at:
>

> [cc'ed to cocoon-dev where Cocoon PMC lives, which will ultimatelly
> decide whether Lenya can become a Cocoon sub-project - read
> http://www.wyona.org/lenya.html for background info]
>
> Some remarks and initial thoughts, mostly based on [BT] (belly
> thoughts), so please don't take too serious or feel offended:
>
> * IMHO, the ASF as a whole has a focus on generic 'lower-level'
> frameworks created to build a variety of applications or serve as a
> deployment container.

What does that come from? Where does low-level and?
And if it were, it needs we need a more comprehensive CMS thing, since
we don't have it ;-)

> I've been 'quite interested' (= understatement) in
> CMS frameworks for a long time already, but find it a domain where _one_
> design doesn't necessarily fit _many_ use cases. I'm not saying the
> meta-generic framework which will address all use cases exists (or could
> be created), I'm just afraid the early design of Lenya might be based on
> a set of assumptions which will be hard to reverse/refactor when fresh
> blood comes into the project and new ideas arise. When I see
> "disentangle cms & publications", I get worried.

Too generic a remark IMHO. Wyona has been working on that goal for some
time now, it's not just an Apache-proposal thing. They know what they
are talking about.

> * A sh*tload of (even Cocoon-based) (half-baked) CMS solutions exist
> already, which might or might not be willing to join ASF in the future.
> What will happen if Lenya (nice name BTW) comes and claims that area?
> Will it be the reference ASF CMS tool? Can CMS be considered an area
> where the ASF wants to operate in, like Zope (CMF) is...? Or do we stick
> to supporting technology like servlet containers, http stacks, build
> tools ... I know there is no policy at ASF that states only one CMS
> project can exist under the ASF umbrella, but still there is only one
> JetSpeed, one Tomcat, one Cocoon, etc etc - I hope my point is clear.

Errr, not to me ;-)

Cocoon can do much of Jetspeed, Turbine can do much of both, Tapestry
now... we have loads of server frameworks that do the *same* thing with
a different perspective. ASF wants to operate on community-driven
opensource, mainly in the server area, so a CMS fits.

> * from what I read here [http://www.wyona.org/roadmap.html#1.0], there
> is extensive refactoring planned _before_ reaching 1.0, yet this is
> envisioned to be done as an incubating ASF (Cocoon sub-) project. I am
> wondering whether it wouldn't be better if this high-impact stuff is
> done before being moved to Apache

The refactoring is about code... it's good that it's done here, where
possibly new developers-viewers can drive it from here.

> * reviewing the archived commit messages, I wonder whether the proposed
> list of initial committers reflects reality, or that the list has been
> expanded so that we won't have the suspicion it is mainly one
> company/group working on the codebase (as is the case with
> xreporter.cocoondev.org right now).

Even if it was mainly one company/group working on the codebase now,
it's not a big issue. We are here to ensure it expands. Incubation was
created also for this reason.

> * Xopus has recently had some troubles w.r.t. its licensing policy
> (open, not open, etc...) Are these things effectively solved right now?

Thre will be no licensing issues. All will be donated fully to Apache.

> As I said, these are 'just remarks'. The fact I'm posting them means I
> actually care about this proposal, in a positive sense.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -