incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenSAML VOTE Results (was Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenSAML as part of Web Services )
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 04:00:19 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Since Web Services = Legal Mine field...Getting the license for Apache will ensure that
Apache as
> a Legal Entity will be protected and that the coding can go on for now. There are 2 JSR's
in the
> jcp and WS-Security spec in OASIS that will need this as well.
>
> Am not sure there anything else we can do in this situation. Am afraid this problem is
going to
> crop up up more and more in the future.

Please don't overgeneralize.

I don't believe that SOAP or WSDL or JAX RPC are legal mine fields.
Every few months or so, however, a conspiracy theory shows up on
Slashdot or the Register or ScriptingNews that IBM or Microsoft or RSA
or whoever is undermining web services with patents.

I very much want Apache to be a safe haven from this.  To put this
another way, I want people to be able to come to Apache without concern
for putting their own Intellectual Property at risk.

Once we muddy the waters, people will feel that they will have to
scrutinize everything from Apache more carefully as they can't trust us
to police ourselves.

What can we do?  We can say yes to projects which aren't encumbered by
such restrictions and no to projects which are.  Hopefully, this will
get some to change, and perhaps in other cases we will find safer
alternatives.

- Sam Ruby