incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <>
Subject Re: OpenSAML VOTE Results (was Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenSAML as part of Web Services )
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 02:43:43 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

>Since Web Services = Legal Mine field...Getting the license for Apache will ensure that
Apache as
>a Legal Entity will be protected and that the coding can go on for now. There are 2 JSR's
in the
>jcp and WS-Security spec in OASIS that will need this as well.
>Am not sure there anything else we can do in this situation. Am afraid this problem is
going to
>crop up up more and more in the future.
I see a false dilemma here.

Sure there is.  There is always something to do or not do.  In the case
of LGPL which the board also believes to impose terms on those using the
software which prevent free implementation, the board has decided not
simply ban the use of said software.  Personally, I expect the board to
hold to that standard even moreso here.  If I understand these terms
correctly, this in effect would be an apache sponsored proprietary
software venture.  In effect Apache would be writing software for RSA.

As for Sun's JCP... Its their spec, why don't they implement it.

View raw message