incubator-general mailing list archives

From Scott Cantor <canto...@osu.edu>
Subject FW: [security-services] RSA Security updated Letter of Intent regarding patents applicabl e to SAML
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:52:30 GMT
If relevant to the discussion, here's the latest from RSA. A careful reading the document does
highlight one point...in order to get
the free license from RSA, one must be able to assert reciprocity in licensing SAML patents.

IOW, if you work for a company (and are not just using OpenSAML for some personal use), you
would have to get sign-off from somebody
in a position to sign such a guarantee with respect to any patents you have that touch on
SAML.

Speaking as an OSU employee, I don't relish the task.

-- Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Philpott, Robert [mailto:rphilpott@rsasecurity.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 5:02 PM
To: 'security-services@lists.oasis-open.org'
Cc: 'karl.best@oasis-open.org'
Subject: [security-services] RSA Security updated Letter of Intent regarding patents applicabl
e to SAML

All - Please find attached the approved updated letter of intent regarding RSA Security patents
that the company believes to be
applicable to SAML implementations.

Please note that I am still awaiting the approved signed-off licensing terms and a description
of the process required to execute
the license agreement.  I sincerely apologize for the delay in making this available.  Hopefully
this will happen within the next
week.

Jeff - could you please post this to the web site at your earliest opportunity?

Thanks!
Rob Philpott
RSA Security Inc.
The Most Trusted Name in e-Security