incubator-general mailing list archives

From Scott Cantor <canto...@osu.edu>
Subject RE: OpenSAML VOTE Results (was Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenSAML as part of Web Services )
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:55:44 GMT
> What scares the crap out of me is the weasel words.  "intent to offer
> royalty free...".
>
> As a rule, lawyers are very careful in what they say and do
> not say.  I can only presume that the word "intent" was carefully chosen.

We've assumed the word is there simply because they have not set the license in stone, but
youneverknow.

It will surprise a great many companies if they decide not to offer it free. Rob P. has indicated
the license terms are taking so
much time because it's free, and so the lawyers have better things to work on for the company.

But let's be frank. You either fight the patents, or you live with the terms you get, which
can change at any time, or you negotiate
directly for better ones.

-- Scott