incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bylaws duplication
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:13:37 GMT
At 10:27 PM +1100 1/30/03, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>It seems that I too was under the impression that the incubator project would be providing
the documentation on the "Apache Way". AIUI, Incubator would not only serve to help new projects
develop the Apache way of doing things, it would serve as the definitive reference for all
other projects. Sander has raised the possibility that this may not be the case.

>Nevertheless, with the promotion of a number of new top level projects, the new PMCs are
all required to come up with Bylaws for the management of their  projects. IMHO, the bylaws
for all these projects should be largely the same, since they all support the operation of
what is known as the Apache Way. If the projects develop them independently, as is happening
now, we will come to similar but perhaps subtly different interpretations of the Apache Way.
Also being indepedently maintained, these differences can grow over time.

This was actually discussed somewhat at the board meeting. The general
thought was that, yes, the Incubator would be a good place to create
and store a sort of Bylaws Boilerplate, which includes the salient
features/requirements yet provides room for personalization.