incubator-general mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: New Jakarta proposal: Pluto
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:23:31 GMT

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Steven Noels wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
> > project.  I do kinda think a project proposal might be premature since
> > the specification isn't public yet.
>
> I was trying not to post the obvious, but yes: this seems largely
> premature. No code, a restricted community, too much committers coming
> from one company, I've seen better proposals being fought over lately.
> Also, possible future integration 'ideas' with some related projects
> would be comforting (Jetspeed, Tomcat, Struts/Tiles, and the Cocoon
> portal framework for a starter).

Is this different from Tomcat and/or JSTL? If so, how?

I'm clueless on portlets, but from my 'vague consumer' view, I thought
the JSR was standardising a lot of what Jetspeed does.

Are there any Jetspeed people on this JSR? Or is it a competing viewpoint?
[much like the Log JSR suddenly wanting to turn Log4j into their
reference]. Would Jetspeed use Charon/Pluto, or would the fact that it's
an RI limit Jetspeed?

I'm assuming Tomcat and JSTL had a number of Apache people in the JSR, if
this one doesn't, then it seems that it's a sourceforge concept. "We'd
like an open source RI, let's host at Jakarta, they do open-source RI's".
Is this not-invented-here-ism or maintaining scope?

Hen