incubator-general mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 09:11:18 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkrantz@apache.org> wrote on 05/01/2003 11:31:43
PM:

> --On Sunday, January 5, 2003 10:09 PM +1100 dion@multitask.com.au
> wrote:
[snip]
> Do we really see that our community is stagnating?  I'm perfectly
> fine with not achieving global domination.  If it means that we're
> not accepting every project that comes our way, so be it.  People are
> free to do their own thing elsewhere.  We can be choosy.
I'm happy with the ASF being choosy. At the moment I can't tell choosy
from 'refuse anything established externally' though, as this is the first
project to go to the incubator and my first exposure to it.

[snip]
> > A rhetorical question: 'What can the ASF offer any of it's existing
> > projects?'. If project structure were all it were about, most
> > developers  wouldn't be here.
>
> Community.
Exactly. So shouldn't the existing 'community' decide?

[snip]
> > And how is that achieved? It seems like 'from within' is a dead-end
> > road,  since we are a limited resource without external people and
> > code. So that  leaves outside people, but no 'outside' code that
> > can be added?
>
> I think you underestimate the creativity of the people we already
> have and the communities we already have.
Well, you'd be wrong :) I definitely don't understimate the people we
already have, but know that there's a finite number of them and they can't
possibly keep growing code and do a good job of maintaining and supporting
it without extra resource.

[snip]
> And, perhaps, the role of the Incubator is to place a brake on some
> of the growth.  Or, perhaps not (the incubator PMC gets to decide).
Yep.

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au