incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Incubator Sandbox
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 05:14:48 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:51:07AM -0500, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>>>Correct. Morphos has (had?) a community, that broke up also because
>>>there was not a real space where to collaborate. Jakarta Commons was
>>>not open to XML people, you found the Commons mailing list too
>>>chaotic, so I found myself alone. I don't want it to happen again.

>>Yes.  As it stands the Apache Commons has dictated the same mailing list
>>philosophy.  So I would in fact abandon it again if Apache Commons
>>achieved success.
>

> Hunh? I'm not sure that I follow this. What is the "mailing list philosophy"
> that you're referring to? And, of course, since I don't understand *that*,
> then I really don't understand the second part.
>
> The meta-question is: is there something about Apache Commons that doesn't
> seem right?

<connotation type="neutral">
Sorry, Nicola Ken noted that I w/couldn't participate in Morphos because
Jakarta Commons has the combined all in one mailing list..  I just cant
keep up, there's too much non-noise-but-totally-irrelevant-to-me.  I was
just agreeing with him that if it moved to Commons, I would initially
contribute but abandon it once/if commons heated up to the same level.
This isn't intended as criticism and no action is required.  Its just my
agreement with Nicola Ken's assertion.
</connotation>

<inflamatoryopinion actionrequested="agree,note,ignore">
My preference, however, is to see it refounded at krysalis where its
development would start with a lower potential community base but would
be unbounded by the issues surrounding the new structures.   Meaning my
interest is helping develop morphos and hopefully a community around it,
my interest in Apache Commons itself is rather low.  This isn't about
Apache Commons, its about my itch lies in Morphos and not Apache Commons.
</inflamatoryopinion>

I realize there are larger issues in this as if Morphos took off outside
it would probably result in some brain drain from various projects at
XML.  However, thats not the intent behind my preference.

-Andy