incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Incubator Sandbox
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:28:30 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>> Let's decide once and for all what should be done!
>>

>> Pardon my Dutch, but I strongly suspect that it is _this_ kind of
>> endavours which scare people away. There exists no single Way, since
>> that would be a Single Point of Failure.
>

> I don't get it. You mean that we should not specify guidelines about the
> creation of new projects by Apache committers?

I'm feeling we are producing too much guidelines ATM. The incubator has
just somehow shepherded its first project across the incubation process
(Tapestry), and already we are thinking of some new guidelines.

>       What Should Be Done != The Only Way Of Doing It

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but you sounded pretty regulatory, about
PMC oversight, guidelines, and all that stuff. Exactly that kind of
stuff that might scare people away, especially for projects without a
real community (even though Morphos seems pretty cool IIUC).

It might be better for smallish, exploratory projects to start within
the safe harbour of larger communities, than starting a SF-like
free-for-all-ASF'ers playground, IMHO. But I prefer to wait and see what
happens.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org