incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Incubator Sandbox
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:36:28 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

[...]
> Nicola doesn't want to see a project dying because he was left alone.

Not exactly...

> I *WANT* projects to die if the author is left alone and I don't want
> them to use any of Apache's own momentum to push forward something that
> can't live by itself.

The fact is that a Jakarta+Cocoon committer, a Cocoon committer and a
POI committer wanted to do something.

The question was: where?

Possibilities:

- in cocoon CVS as Turbine did with Maven?
   No, the POI one couldn't commit.

- in Sourceforge
   No, the Cocoon one thought that it had to be done in Apache or else
   he would not have partecipated.

- In Jakarta Commons?
   Ok, we would ask the Cocoon committer to have access too.

But then the XML committer never got access, the POI one didn't like the
big fat commons mail, and *then* I was left alone.

Next time I will do it on Sourceforge. At least I get a real chance to
know if it would have worked. Not having clear guidelines on this really
made the whole thing a mess.

 From my experience some developers are very uneasy about starting in
SF, because they see it as unsafe, see other projects doing it under
their roof, and Jakarta Commons that has a Sandbox.

Let's decide once and for all what should be done!

I did Centiepde under SF and Maven was done under Turbine. Then I was
told that Jakarta users should use Maven because it was "our own
dogfood". Doh.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -