incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Incubator Sandbox
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:21:53 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Correct. Morphos has (had?) a community, that broke up also because
> there was not a real space where to collaborate. Jakarta Commons was not
> open to XML people, you found the Commons mailing list too chaotic, so I
> found myself alone. I don't want it to happen again.

Once I was confronted with the concept that if I had created some of my
projects in the wild and not from inside apache and with an apache email
address, they wouldn't have been successful in creating a community.

At first, my reaction was defensive. Now, my reaction is curiosity.
Would Cocoon exist if it started in SF? I think so. Would it be so big
and appreciated? probably not.

But the real point is: would it have reached enough of a healthy
development community to be able to be proposed here for incubation and
stand the pressure of Apache community quality screening?

Yes, you bet.

*this* is the point, folks.

Nicola doesn't want to see a project dying because he was left alone.

I *WANT* projects to die if the author is left alone and I don't want
them to use any of Apache's own momentum to push forward something that
can't live by itself.

I myself feel sorry that I can't tell people: "look, I did my project by
  myself, I didn't abuse the Apache name to get more visibility".

Since the above might lead to somewhat irritating thoughts, please, use
the double-email trick so that your signal/noise ratio to me increases.
Thank you.