incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Incubator Sandbox
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:12:45 GMT

Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Hope this explains things a bit more.
>

> It sure does. Have these communities expressed interest in being moved?

AvalonDB will be moved. Somewhere. They haven't had this opportunity
explained yet of course. There are other apps in Avalon repository that
would go that way.

As for the other projects I mentioned, they are related to me or to Avalon.

Should they have a site? I think not. They can use the wiki, heck, it's
a sandbox. If-when the incubator can decide that they can become "real"
Apache projects, they will go through the usual incubation system, etc etc.

> As far as the non-Apache projects are considered, I would tend to
> believe that should go through the 'usual' incubator process (checking
> out the 'Apache Way'-ness, and maybe that process will show the need for
> a new cross-Apache repository to store these new projects in.

Krysalis was created for projects starting out of Apache that want to be
helpes to find someone that gives them mentoring. It would continue to
work that way. We could link fom the incubator to that is you prefer.

> There exists a 'committers' repository already which might be (ab)used
> (?) for this.

Anyone can give us some pointers about it?

> IMHO, I would reserve such a cross-ASF Incubator Sandbox for projects
> started _inside_ Apache, by Apache people, rather than opening up the
> gates for the SF effect.

Of course, the proposal is only about *Apache committers* wanting to
start new stuff. Maybe I was not clear enough, sorry.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -