incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:27:29 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>> FWIW, as a member of the board of directors, I voted *FOR* the
>
>  > incubator.  At the time, I didn't see it as a gatekeeper, but as a
>  > resource or facilitator.  To date, all I have seen is evidence of the
>  > former.
>
> i find that very discouraging.  'resource/facilitator' would seem to
> be a primarily passive thing, such as through the web site (glossary,
> anyone?).  i'm not sure i see how any active role surrounding the
> aspect of 'new projects must come through the incubator' can realistically
> be seen  *without* some bit of 'gatekeeper'ness.

Is this 'responsibility means empowerment'?

If so, how come Tapestry appears to be lost?

A rule might be that it is up to the individual PMCs to decide whether
they are able & willing to handle a donation on their own, or prefer it
to be 'handled' by the Incubator. In the case of Tapestry, I can only
hope the Jakarta PMC would decide they are able to be self-supporting in
setting up Tapestry as a subproject.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org