incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 17:37:24 GMT
Sander Striker wrote:

>>Incubator for a project which states "Tapestry is a community project,
>>and now follows the Apache meritocracy rules to guide its future
>>development." on its site, has 6 active committers and a busy mailing
>>list? Naaah. They should be a proper Jakarta subproject right from the
>>start if that is OK with them.
>
> Sorry Steven, but _every_ project has to go through the Incubator.  Some
> of them will remain there only a short period, others somewhat longer
> and some will die in the process.

This is a slippery slope with ill defined terms.

Can HTTPD accept a patch from a non-committer without involvement of the
incubator?

Can HTTPD vote in a new committer without involvement of the incubator?

Can HTTPD decide to reorganize their cvs into multiple directories
and/or repositories?

Do you see where I am heading?

The last I heard, Tapestry does not seek to become a "Capital P" project
in the ASF sense.  Trust me, if I were inclined to do so, I could have
figured out a "legal" way to route around the incubator.

What is important here is not hard and fast Rules (with a capital "R"),
but that we all apply common sense and try to work together.

FWIW, as a member of the board of directors, I voted *FOR* the
incubator.  At the time, I didn't see it as a gatekeeper, but as a
resource or facilitator.  To date, all I have seen is evidence of the
former.

- Sam Ruby