incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 15:32:14 GMT

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Sunday, January 5, 2003 10:01 PM +1100 Conor MacNeill
> <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:

[...]

>> What would be the compelling reason that you would see for the ASF
>> to accept any project? If Tapestry does not satisfy these
>> requirements, then what sort of project would, IYHO, meet them?
>> IOW, can the incubator function at all?
>
> I believe the incubator should be about nuturing new communities.
> Projects that already have a viable community have little need for the
> ASF.

Ok, then why do we keep Tomcat? Why HTTPD itself? They have a viable
community and thus little need for the ASF.

Or they just have the luck that ASF had them when they were poor ans
small?  :->

> About the only thing that they can leverage is either our
> infrastructure and brand name.

You sound like they want to come in to suck our blood. Totally
defensive. Can't *we* leverage *their* community/code/vision? Are we so
perfect that they can only suck our blood?

> Those are things I do not want us to
> allow just any project to use - we can't be SourceForge - we'd
> collapse.  I'd rather us restrict our limited resources to helping new
> communities to form rather than helping already established
> communities.  I think there's a critical mass that every project needs
> to achieve to be self-sustaining.  Projects need help achieving that.

What is the ASF mission? Form new communities?
Then why has Jakarta not accepted projects that do *not* have a stable
community?

> My point is that our infrastructure and brand name can't be the reason
> for joining the ASF.

What is, then? What? Some poor developers with a nice idea and in need
of help? I'm getting nervous, because I think, yes I do, that we're
insulting Tapestry developers. And for that I apologise.

> Tapestry already seems to have a community and
> several major releases.  A new project that is just starting out might
> only have one or two interested people and perhaps a little bit of
> code.  Or, it might be a company looking to build a community off
> donated code (see Tomcat, Ant).  Those are the types of things I'd
> rather see the ASF pursue.  I'm not terribly interested in importing
> medium-or-large size communities.

That's your opinion of course. So that means we should get only code
dumps from companies and some poor developers with some lines of code,
interesting ideas and a bag of hope?

Come on....

> Quality over quantity.  Smaller rather than larger.

Tapestry is not of quality? It's too large? How large is too much, let's
say as Tomcat?

So let's say JBoss wanted to join ASF? You'd say no because it's too big?

  *sigh*

             - verba volant, scripta manent -