incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 15:27:54 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>> I don't think that there are any foregone conclusions wrt Tapestry.
>> They've put forward a proposal, various people in the Jakarta
>> project were  enthusiastic and hence it's come to the incubator.
>> What happens from here  is a complete unknown.
>
> That depends.  I believe Sam said in a thread that he just hoped that
> the lack of comment meant that it was okay to add it to Jakarta.

I am quite capable of lighting a fire under the current PMC members to
get them to express a vote.  I have not yet chosen to do so yet.

To make an oversweeping generalization, Jakara is tired.  They have been
asked again and again, in many different ways, would it be OK if
Tapestry becomes a Jakarta subproject.  The answer has been yes, yes,
yes, and once again yes.  The more times the question is asked, the less

And that's not because they "avoided the question in spectacular
fashion.".

When I asked what was desired, I got the following response from Ken Coar:

> it would be nice to have such a binding answer from the jakarta project,
> and even nicer to have interested parties from jakarta (including but
> not limited to andy) watching and participating in the process to a) ensure
> that tapestry doesn't morph away from what jakarta agreed to accept, and
> b) help the incubator people identify and fix issues.  just as andy and dIon
> have already done in this very thread (thanks!).

We clearly are pursuing the "and even nicer" path of this.  I realize
that Ken wanted both, my immediate knee-jerk reaction to the first term
in the boolean expression was to respond with a "it would be nice to
have such a binding answer from the incubator project", but I am trying
to maintain my cool.

Let's all follow the second half of the equation.  And not turn this
into a referendum on Jakarta, or on me, or Andy.

The tapestry developers have demonstrated a fair amount of patience,
persistence, and good humour in all of this.  Each time we have set the
bar, they have risen to the challenge, and we have responded by raising
the bar.  My request is that we set the bar one last time.  This time
for good.

- Sam Ruby