incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject mailing list organizatoin (was: [VOTE] Mother may I)
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:56:47 GMT
On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 08:36:21PM -0500, Ben Hyde wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
> > The proposal suggests a separate cvs mailing list.  My recommendation
> > is that cvs mail be directed to the -dev list.  This accomplishes ...
>
> +1
>
> The separation of cvs@ and dev@ in httpd is before my time, I'd be
> fascinated to hear stories about it.  - ben

Personally, I prefer the separation, and for keeping the users on the
developer's list. Separating the user/dev lists makes it too easy for the
developers to become detached from their actual users. Thus, placing the
commits elsewhere is good for the casual mailing list subscriber (since
"everybody" is on the single user/dev list).

The single user/dev mailing list is *especially* important when a project
first starts up. During that time period, it is very important to be close
to the early adopters -- they'll have great feedback and will want to know
what is going on with the project. It is only when a project is very mature
that it becomes at all interesting to separate the two.

I've been using and liking this model for a long while now.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/