incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@apache.org>
Subject who decides? (was: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 22:27:41 GMT
On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 04:31:43AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > I'd agree with this last sentence. But given the Tapestry
> > developers  originally put the proposal to Jakarta, and that all
> > new projects were  supposed to come through 'incubation' (AFAIK),
> > that's how they got here.
>
> And, perhaps, the role of the Incubator is to place a brake on some
> of the growth.  Or, perhaps not (the incubator PMC gets to decide).
> Uncontrolled growth may not be beneficial long-term.  But, I've yet
> to see a discussion on how much growth we're willing to handle.

That is absolutely not the role for the Incubator. The Board did not create
it with the idea that it is the decision maker on what belongs at the ASF.
That is up to all of the PMCs. The Incubator is for dealing with their
decisions -- for bringing the code in and ensuring the new community
observes our requirements and ideals.

The Jakarta PMC said "yes, we want it" and now the Incubator is responsible
for dealing with that.

If the HTTPD PMC said "yes, we want mod_whatzit" then the Incubator brings
it into the ASF.

But the Incubator *CANNOT* dictate their ideas of what is or is not "proper"
for the ASF to those other PMCs. Absolutely not. If there is any question
about that, then I'm more than happy to get an official statement from the
Board to that effect.

"Wah wah, but that means the PMCs can create unbounded work for us." Those
other PMCs should be participating in the process. If they impose too much
work and the incubation process slows as a result, then they can help it
along (in their own self-interest) by adding their own people to the mix.

Cheers,
-g

--
gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/