incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@apache.org>
Subject incubator vs individual PMCs? (was: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 22:07:44 GMT
On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 07:27:29PM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> A rule might be that it is up to the individual PMCs to decide whether
> they are able & willing to handle a donation on their own, or prefer it
> to be 'handled' by the Incubator. In the case of Tapestry, I can only
> hope the Jakarta PMC would decide they are able to be self-supporting in
> setting up Tapestry as a subproject.

No. One of the primary purposes of the Incubator, which hasn't been
mentioned in this recent thread, is managing the legal aspects around
arriving software. The Incubator is specifically charged with handling the
new project so they can ensure that the licenses are properly changed, the
various copyrights are protected, and that we have contributor agreements
and/or software grants for all incoming software.

Individual PMCs are *not* supposed to accept incoming software. That has
been broken in the past, and there are unclear rules and procedures. The
Incubator is intended to provide a specific sequence of steps and a
checklist for ensuring that the ASF has properly accepted responsibility for
the software.

Cheers,
-g

--