incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <...@ispsoft.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Incubator Sandbox
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 07:11:15 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I tend to think that such a sandbox will only increase the probability
> of the sourceforge effect and won't stop projects from extending their
> scopes and grow subprojects inside.

I can of course understand that you see some negative aspects on
SF. However, IMO the above statement negates the positive points.

SF is a an open source supporting system without any barreers. Of course
the wave of projects is way too much. I can't think how much I found a
project without any release, no files in CVS and just a proposed target.

On the other hand, the lack of barreers makes it easy for people to
move the stuff to SF, make it visible (in particular together with
FreshMeat) and actually get off the ground. Not any project has a
vision like Cocoon and even Apache projects start small sometimes.
Think of log4j or Ant. IMO the main reason for their success (compared
to projects with similar ideas and target) was that they have been so
visible on the Apache site. If they had to go the hard way, who knows
what we'd use today?

Reading the discussion on this mailing list, which is on guidelines
for commit, guidelines for mailing lists, guidelines for projects,
... I can only shake my head. I would assume that there are guidelines
for guidelines. Has anyone yet considered guidelines for the invention
of guidelines for guidelines? :-)

My personal opinion is, that Apache could well use a little bit more
of the SF effect. Not too much, of course, but also not too less.

Regards,

Jochen